Sunday, April 24, 2016

How to maintain healthy hair all year long

A question I get asked a lot by women is how often they should cut their hair?  My recommendation is for long hair about every 3 months.  If you are trying to maintain the length or grow it out I suggest every 3 months in order to keep it healthy and free of split ends.  I would recommend cutting about a quarter to a 1/2 inch every trim if you are trying to grow it out.  For women with shorter hair the time length can vary.  With shorter hair you will notice the growth a lot more than you would with long hair.  If the hair is bothering your neck then it's probably time for a trim.  Typically, women with shorter hair will need a trim a lot more than women with long hair.

To keep your hair healthy it doesn't just require a regular trim.  Using good products can help as well.  I recommend using Biolage hydrasource shampoo and conditioner to help keep your hair moisturized.  The smell is amazing and I have never seen any negative results with Biolage.  
For color treated hair I recommend Biolage color last shampoo and conditioner.  This shampoo will help maintain the color depth, tone and shine.  It gently cleanses to prevent any stripping of the color and is paraben free.  
In addition to using a good shampoo and conditioner, I also recommend using a leave in conditioner as well.  My favorite go to product for leave in has always been It's a 10 miracle leave in spray.  Spray this in after you towel dry your hair and do not rinse out.  Anytime my hair is wet I will spray this in.  During the summer time if you swim a lot, I recommend getting your hair wet first with non chlorinated water then spraying it liberally with the It's a 10 leave in spray.  This will help to prevent any mild damage that can come from chlorine.  It is a really thick spray so if you find that your hair is more oily than the average person there is also a light version and also a version for blondes.  It's a 10 also makes a hair mask that will be good to use once a week or more for super dry hair.  
The last product I recommend is for anyone that blow dries, flat irons, or curls their hair on a regular basis.  Anytime you are putting any kind of heat onto your hair it is strongly suggested that you use a heat protectant.  Heat protectants protect the hair from any heat damage irons can cause and help to maintain that healthy shine that all women love.  I have 2 favorite products that I recommend to clients.  I love Paul Mitchell's Hot Off the Press.  This is not only a heat protectant but also double's as a flexible hair spray.  I will use this product anytime I am using a curling iron.  It eliminates a step for me by having a flexible hold spray built into it.  If you are doing a style that requires a stronger hold, you could still use Hot Off the Press to protect your hair from the heat but I would add a firm hair spray for extra hold.  The second product I love is Chi's 44 Iron Guard.  This is more of a loose spray where as Hot Off the Press is more of an aerosol.  I will use Iron Guard anytime I am flat ironing or I will spray it on wet hair before blow drying.  When flat ironing it can leave your hair feeling a bit damp so I suggest brushing the spray through each section and waiting about 15-30 seconds before taking the iron to the hair.  



So those are the products I strongly recommend to maintain healthy hair.  However, if you want an added bonus, I LOVE LOVE LOVE shine serums!  It's not really necessary for healthy hair but can sure add extra shine and make your hair feel silky smooth.  There are so many serum's/oils out there.  Moroccon Oil is an amazing product but not my favorite simply because it can be a little pricey.  My favorites are Chi's Argan Oil and Paul Mitchell's Awapahi White Ginger styling treatment oil.  I love Chi because it makes my hair feel amazingly silky smooth and Paul Mitchell because the smell is amazing.  Both serum's can be applied on wet towel dried hair and followed with a blow dry and style.  For best results I recommend putting it in hair wet and blow drying.  You can also use either one to tame down fly away's on dry hair.  Don't use more than about a nickel size on either wet or dry hair.  Too much can make your hair look and feel greasy.  

So in the spirit of healthy hair, I am offering a free deep conditioning treatment with any women's haircut for the month of May.  Mention this blog post to receive treatment.  I will be located at Estanzia Salon & Spa in Roseville, CA beginning May 1.  If you are in the area then come join me to get your healthy hair:)







No comments:

Post a Comment